As a home-maker, I am always looking for ways to make dinner pop. A lot of my recipes have been inspired by both my mother and my mother in law. Both of these ladies are really pros in the kitchen, but both with totally different cooking techniques.
Although I have a handful of go-to recipes from the top ladies in my life, every now and then, my family likes to eat out and taste something different. So I decided to learn a few copycat recipes that you can also do in your own kitchen.
Copycat ‘Orange Chicken from Panda Express’ Recipe
|2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast|
|1 1⁄2 tsp salt|
|1 white pepper|
|2 tbsp oil|
|1⁄2 cup corn starch|
|1⁄4 cup flour|
|1 tbsp ginger root|
|1 tsp garlic|
|1⁄2 tsp hot red chili pepper|
|1⁄4 cup green onion|
|1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine|
|1⁄4 cup water|
|1⁄2 tsp sesame oil|
|1 1⁄2 tbsp soy sauce|
|1 1⁄2 tbsp water|
|5 tbsp sugar|
|5 tbsp white vinegar|
- Prep 15 min
- Cook 30 min
- Ready 45 min
- Orange Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons water, sugar, white vinegar, and orange zest. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix egg, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil.
- In a separate bowl, add 1/2 cup corn starch and flour and mix well.
- In a third small bowl, dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in 1/4 cup water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Working in small batches, dip chicken pieces in the egg mixture, then the corn starch mixture and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Discard oil and clean wok. Heat for 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger root, and garlic and stir fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add chili peppers and green onions, then stir fry for a few seconds. Add rice wine and stir for 3 seconds. Add orange sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken and stir until well mixed. Stir water and corn starch mixture if it has separated, then add to the pan. Heat until the sauce has thickened. Stir in sesame oil.